My first day experience in University

MY FIRST DAY EXPERIENCE IN UNIVERSITY

I never thought or dreamed of going to the university, but when Jesus says yes, nobody can say no. As unique as I could imagine, that Sunday was just like any other day of the week. I took my place at the table at eight pm to enjoy kisira (Sudanese food). As I kept on eating, I would imagine the new life that lay a head of me. I remembered those stories from our high school teacher who told us how wonderful life is in the university.
After short prayer, I retired into my bed with my eyes fixed on the ceiling. I was carried away in a fancy thoughts; I would see myself in a lecture room, ask some few questions and handle a camera; and make new friends. I longed to sleep but it was impossible because of excitement, the fact that I will not be under strict control and put on school uniform made me lost my sleep. I was like a bridegroom who will be with his bride the following morning in the church. 12 hours of the night were like 48 hours and I was yawning constantly; I had a little nap when it was already morning.
Alas! It was Monday and I had to get ready for the new adventure. I would just smirk whenever a fly passed across my eyes. I appreciate the nature and everything was lively to me, the blue sky, the topography and the sweet voices of birds in trees made me glad.
I was so excited to be in the university that afternoon, especially my curiosity was to see whether it is true that ladies and gentlemen are free to enter into each other’s rooms as this opposed to that of secondary schools rules and regulations. Yes, I found out and the first thing I saw was a lady in her early twentieth moving out with a boy in her room which is next to mine and I got convinced there and then. At the office of academic registrar where all the new students are to get registered first before accessing the university facilities, I sat with my fellow new students in a long queue. In front of us was the registrar, a light skinned man with sense of humor, cracking jokes with us. But my mind was somewhere imagining things and situations. “Next!” He called and waited. A girl who sat near nudged me and said it is your turn. I jumped and try to forge some inattentive smiles, the registrar hoaxed me and I sat gawkily in front of him.
However, the next hurdle was to look for the hall where I should be attending my lectures, I did not know my fellow students of journalism. Besides, I came late when the orientation of new students was done about a week back. I was in a total quandary and no one would see my frustration. Everyone seemed to just mind his/her own business. I would try to approach someone and before I opened my mouth; my mind became blank and failed to figure out what I wanted to say. Cold sweat oozed out of my armpits and forehead whenever I wanted to ask someone. I was frightened like a chick that has seen a hawk flying overhead.
I started wandering from hall to hall peeping through the windows with expectation that I would hear such words like. “Media, press and reporting” but not an iota of these words was uttered. I was like a dog moving from gutter to gutter scavenging for food. The other thing which bothered me was the number of students in the lecture room, I had no courage to enter into such a colossal crowd and ask some one. My fear was that, these students would laugh at me. Approaching someone was as hard as walking on sharp thorns. I was overwhelmed with fear because everything looked strange to me. At one moment, I would gather some courage and asked someone and all the answers were evasive. What perplexed me was the code of dressing, students and lecturers were all alike, and I could not differentiate them.

The last silly thing I did was to use the wrong title. This was when I approached a big bellied man and said, “Excuse me professor,” I thought that everyone who teaches in the university is called a professor. But to my consternation the man told me that he is not a professor and he walked away without paying any attention to me. I was dumbfounded and stood motionless, I hanged my head in shame and lower my shoulder. I felt like the world had turned deaf ears to me, wanted the earth to open itself up and swallow me. The next option was to change the course and join the bandwagons like business administration where people are easily found.
Hurrah! I was helped by Good Samaritan who saw my anxiety and frustration. He asked me why I looked worried every day; he must have been seeing me around. When I told him my problem, he immediately took me to the right place.
It was so funny and interesting event,
I love it.

Abraham Daljang Maker.
Pursuing Bachelor of Science in journalism
At Nkumba University, Entebbe, Uganda

Comments

  1. They have great experience and an idea of teaching their students in the easiest way.www.dissertationavenue.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Street children in Rumbek lakes state are expecting bright dawn

Teresa Nyankol Mathiang was a peace Icon and a liberator

COWS HAVE BECOME THE SYMBOLS OF DOOM IN OUR CULTURE.